Sunday, November 2, 2014

Advice to New Backpackers - The "Do's"

Following up my last post that was a bit on the negative side, here is my list of "Do's" for new backpackers:

Think hard about what you're trying to do
     a. Take a good, hard, honest look at yourself and your situation.  How much experience do you have outdoors?  How fit are you?  What is your inspiration for trying backpacking?
     b. What is your Plan B if you can't do what you set out to do?
     c. Make a list of all the things you'll need and calculate the cost.  I thought I had almost everything I needed for long distance backpacking but in the end, the only things I already owned that went with me were my backpack, compass, and Swiss Army knife.
     d. Be realistic about what you can handle.  If you're just beginning, try a practice hike that is rated "easy" or "moderate."  You may be surprised that even these trails aren't as "easy" as they're supposed to be - especially when you're carrying a heavy backpack.

Train before going
     a.  If you're already an athlete and run marathons before breakfast, great.  Otherwise, get yourself into at least decent shape.
     b.  Walk.  And then walk some more.  And then go walking again.  Being on your feet and moving is the best way to train for long distance backpacking.  I logged about 500 miles in training walks before I went to Oregon.  It goes without saying but walk with your backpack on, gradually building up to 35 pounds.
     c.  If you've never been backpacking and you plan to do a big trip, do at least one 3 day practice trip before you go.
     d.  Load your backpack with stuff and get used to putting it on and taking it off.  There's a technique to it.  Be careful - I almost through out my back while practicing with a 35 pound pack.  When I'm by myself and don't have a handy rock or tree stump to help, I pull the pack up onto my knee by the straps, slide an arm through, and push it around onto my back.
     e.  Practice loading your backpack.  Play around with where you'll put stuff and how you'll stack things in the interior.  The rule of thumb is light stuff on the bottom (usually your sleeping bag), heavy stuff in the middle (usually your food supply), middling weight stuff on top (various ephemera - I always kept my water filtration stuff on top where it was easy to get to).  Maybe I'm obsessive but I spent hours and hours at home packing and repacking my backpack, trying to find the right balance.  If your backpack is off balance on the trail, you'll notice it and it won't be fun digging everything out and readjusting.

Study your route
    a.  Look at maps, read trail journals - whatever it takes but become familiar with where you're going.  Have at least a basic idea of how far apart water sources are or sections that could be strenuous or long.  If you're new to backpacking, planning is super important.  REI does trail basics classes, so if you don't know how to read a map or use a compass, you might consider taking one.
     b.  Carry maps and a compass.  For the PCT, the Halfmile maps are awesome.  They not only show the trail but resupply points, camp spots, and water sources along the trail.  Halfmile and Guthook have also developed smartphone apps for the trail, which a lot of people rely on entirely.  I had them as well but used my maps most of the time to spare my phone's battery.  I also encountered a bunch of hikers who had been caught in a downpour that ruined their electronics.  Paper maps won't break if you drop them and don't need batteries.  I kept mine in a Ziplock bag in case of rain.

Get to know your gear really well
     a. Trying on that new backpack at REI with (hopefully) 30 pounds of sandbags in it is one thing - carrying it "for reals" is something else entirely.  My husband bought an Osprey backpack that fit great in the store but then he ended up despising it on the trail.  Load up your backpack with your backpacking gear and take a walk - even if it's just around the block.  Walk up some stairs, walk downhill, walk uphill, step over things, bend over, etc.  Do everything you can to see how it will feel in a variety of situations.  This should point out pressure points or other problems.  Don't be afraid to take the backpack back to the store if it doesn't work out. A good fitting pack is probably the most important piece of gear you'll have.
     b. Set up your tent in the yard and get in it.  Take it down and put it in its stuff sack.  Is it a pain to set up and take down?  Imagine setting it up in the wind or in a tight spot or in a hurry - will it work in these conditions?
     c. Try a few different outfits in various conditions.  Prior to backpacking, I had logged hundreds (maybe 1000s) of miles hiking for my job.  I had always worn army surplus pants, cotton cowboy shirts, merino wool socks, and hiking boots.  My practice hikes clued me in that this was not a good backpacking outfit.  I don't know why.  Possibly because backpacking involves hours of virtually non stop walking on trails whereas my job requires cross country "bushwacking" where protective clothing is a must.  Anyway, my old clothes didn't cut it for backpacking, which was a big surprise.
     d. Use your stove at home before going on the trail.  Try making some of your backpacking food with it.  Is it a pain to use?  Is clean up an ordeal (imagine being without a sink or soap)?

Wear light hiking shoes or trail running shoes
     a. Before the PCT, I was a staunch hiking boot person.  I tried trail running shoes after reading about lots of other hikers who had switched to them exclusively.  They're right, running shoes are the way to go.  They're lighter than boots and are more flexible, so your feet will be less tired at the end of the day.  The flexibility also means that you'll get fewer blisters from them.  The ankle support that boots are supposed to give you is a misconception that has persisted for too many years.  A good, supportive running shoe will give you just as much support without the added bulk of a boot.
     b.  Try out different styles and brands.  Give trail running shoes a chance.  Because of their flexibility, they will actually make greater contact with the ground than a pair of hiking shoes with heavy Vibram soles.  The only benefit of the Vibram soles being that they will last longer but a pair of running shoes should last at least 500 miles.
     c.  Try out different types of socks.  I used to always wear Merino wool socks until this summer when I discovered they were giving me heat rash.  I switched to synthetic Thorlo socks and haven't had a problem with heat rash or blisters.
     d.  Wear gaiters with your low hiking shoes or running shoes.  They will keep out dirt and debris and anything you can do to keep clean is well worth it.  Dirty Girls are the preferred gaiter of PCT hikers and I love mine too.
     e.  Buy your shoes a minimum of 1/2 size bigger than normal.  Most people go up a full size to account for the splaying or your toes and how swollen your feet get from a day of walking.

Carry nutritious food
     a.  It's tempting to bring lots of high calorie snacks on the trail but there is no way you'll be able to carry enough food to replace what you've burned (unless you're only going overnight).  On my Oregon trip, I made the mistake of bringing too much junk food - high calorie but not very nutritious.  Bring as much unprocessed, whole foods as you can.  It will need to be dehydrated to save weight but you'll be much happier than if you'd brought processed junk.
     b.  Experiment with the food you'd like to bring.  I discovered that I disliked almost everything I brought.  Your cravings may surprise you.
     c.  Bring supplements and take them consistently. A good multivitamin, some form of magnesium, and an electrolyte drink powder are a must.  I brought Emergen-C and Gatorade powder and enjoyed them thoroughly but didn't bring vitamins or magnesium and paid the price in cramping muscles.

Take care of yourself
     a.  Keep yourself as clean as you're able.  Switch out your socks, rinse out your shirt, empty the dirt from your shoes.  Carry wet wipes and take a "bath" every night - especially your private areas. Staying clean isn't just a good morale booster, it will help you avoid chafe, blisters, and sores.
     b. Pay attention to how you're feeling and take care of problems immediately.
     c.  Give yourself a break.  You don't have to keep up with everyone else and if you need a zero day, take it.  The trail's not going anywhere.
     d.  At least once a day, take your shoes off and rub your feet.  Let your feet air out and change your socks.

Have fun!
     a.  Take lots of pictures.  You may never be here again and what you're doing is amazing!
     b.  Look up and appreciate small moments.
     c.  Learn more about yourself than you ever knew before.
     d.  Gain wisdom and confidence.
     e.  Keep a journal so you can read back over your experience.
     f.  Keep your sense of humor and know that "it can always be worse and nothing lasts forever."
     g.  Learn new and weird skills like how to poop perfectly into your "cathole."
     h.  Sleep on the ground.  Drink water from the earth.
     i.  See the stars!
     j.  Get weird looks from day hikers.
     k.  Come home excited about running water and refrigeration.
     l.  Learn how bad your BO can really get.
     m.  Realize that all you really need is 35 pounds of equipment, food, and water.

Aww, time off the trail in a crappy motel.  Heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment