Monday, September 28, 2015

Day Hiking in Yosemite: Day 3

For our final day in Yosemite, we wanted to do one last short hike before heading home.  We both agreed that something in Tuolomne Meadows was ideal because 1) it was on our way home and 2) I could get my passport stamped at the visitor's center at TM.  After the fiasco of the day before, I was even more determined to get my passport stamped.

So we ended up hiking out on the Lyell Canyon Trail, which is a segment of the John Muir Trail/PCT.  Knowing that we wanted to get home at a decent time, we gave ourselves 2 hours of hiking in each direction rather than pick a specific spot to get to.  It was nice and relaxing feeling that we didn't have much of a goal. We started out near the Lake Catherine trailhead and headed east.  The trail for the first 0.5 miles was a nasty, tore-up mess.  The ground was rocky and hikers and equestrians had walked all over the place to find the smoothest route.  But as we moved past the trail to the visitor center, the trail improved and became a nice little footpath through the trees.

The hike wasn't terribly scenic but moving down the trail was pleasure in itself.  As my friend says, "it smells like the outdoors."  Yes, Melissa, it did.  Piney and dusty and fresh.  After the debacle of the day before, this trail was peaceful and soothing.  As we neared our turn around point, we spotted a nice flat area by the river and sat down for a break.  I took my shoes off and stood in the water.  Holy moly was it COLD!!  I grew up going to Lake Tahoe and the coldness of Tahoe has nothing on this stuff.  But my feet loved it.  They felt all tingly and refreshed when I got out.

On the way back, we went down a side trail to the visitor center and I finally got my passport stamped.  But just to finish the trip off right, I accidentally stamped it upside down.  Because of course I did.  Sigh.

Melissa looking like Mountain Girl.

Peaceful trail.

Our spot by the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment