Wednesday, September 17, 2014

An Ode to Big Lake Youth Camp

Picture me - hot, thirsty, tired, hurting, limping through miles of lava and dust.  Seventeen miles from last night's camp.  Scrambling over downed trees, trying not to cry because I'm so scared I'll run out of water. Telling myself, "Just take a few sips every 15 minutes, that should be enough to get to Big Lake."  Eating is out of the question.  I'm too dehydrated and standing still actually hurts my ankle worse than walking.  So I pause occasionally to force down an energy chew but mostly I keep moving.  Trees, trees, nothing but trees.  Where's the fucking lake? I see "2000" written in rocks on the side of the trail - the 2000th mile of the PCT for north bounders. I go by without taking a photo.  It's in a dry forest after the lava and the dust is poofing up all over me.  Despite my ankle, I walk faster than I ever have on the trail.  Screaming along, practically jogging, probably doing over 3.5 miles per hour.  On downhills, I actually do jog.  I pass two other hikers and though they wave and say "hi" I'm so intent on getting to the lake, I don't respond.  Scared into rudeness I guess.  After a while, I recognize the significance of "2000."  Only 2 miles to the turnoff to Big Lake.  I'm going to make it. I slow down a little and in an hour I'm there - Big Lake Youth Camp.

I have never been so glad to be someplace in my life.  I'm sure the "danger" was all in my head but I was genuinely concerned that the 3 L of water I had picked up at Lava Camp was not sufficient to get me 13 miles over lava, hills, dust, and burned forest.  So when I arrived a the Big Lake Youth Camp I was beyond relieved to be somewhere where there was water and food and people.  But my experience there went so far beyond those necessities that I feel compelled to write about it.  This is my ode to the Big Lake Youth Camp.

After arriving, I managed to find the office of the youth camp and checked in alongside several other hikers.  There were about 12-15 of us there.  The girls at the office helped the hikers who had resupply boxes and explained the amenities of the camp.  We could have dinner and breakfast at the camp.  We could also use their showers and laundry facility.  Camping for hikers was down by the "lagoon."  It was all FREE but they accepted donations.  I had arrived just before dinner, so I hung out by the lodge and waited.  I called my friend and explained that my trip was over.  Ankle hosed, no going on.  Sorry Melissa.  She agreed to come get me in the morning.

When the time came for dinner, the youth camp leaders let the hikers eat first.  Crazy.  We thought we'd be getting the leftovers after 100 or so teenagers pillaged the food line but no, we were allowed in first.  Dinner was a pasta bake similar to lasagna.  There was also salad, garlic bread, brownies, and fresh fruit.  I was very self conscious during dinner.  I was sitting next to a group of teenagers and I was GROSS.  I'd never been so dirty on the trail.  I was so anxious to get food and water that I hadn't bothered to wash my hands.  I was still really dehydrated so I had a terrible time getting all of my food down.  I couldn't finish my brownie!  I put $2 in the donation box.

After dinner, I found the laundry - not because I wanted to wash my clothes but because that's where the youth camp keeps the towels that the hikers can borrow.  In the laundry room, there was a huge pile of big fluffy towels and a box of soap set aside for hikers.  I grabbed a towel and a bar of soap and bee-lined for the shower. The shower room was being cleaned and I felt terrible for stomping dirty footprints across the clean tiles.  I apologized to the girl who was mopping the floor but she smiled and said "It's OK." The shower was hot with plenty of pressure and I literally groaned as I rinsed off 5 days of accumulated dust and grime.  I scrubbed for so long, I used up the tiny bar of soap.

After my shower, I went back to the laundry to return my towel.  While I was there I overheard a conversation between one of the counselors and a hiker.  The hiker wanted to do laundry but he didn't have anything to wear while his clothes were washing.  The counselor responded "Don't worry, we have sweats and a t-shirt you can borrow."  I was floored.  Seriously, these were the nicest people on earth.

It was late by then, probably 7:30 so I decided to make my way to the lagoon for the night.  But I wanted to get some water first.  I knew of a drinking fountain near the lodge but I wanted a sink where I could fill up my Platypus.  As I walked by the lodge, the man that ran the food line stepped out.  I asked him if there was a sink I could use and he pointed me to the kitchen and said, "Knock yourself out. Oh and there's extra food from dinner if you want another plate.  And there's bananas and apples too if you want some."  Wow.  I filled up my Platypus and grabbed a banana, glowing in the amazing generosity of the camp.

In the morning, I went back to the lodge for breakfast.  Biscuits and gravy.  Cereal with blueberries.  And they let the hikers eat first.  I'm totally serious. During breakfast two of the counselors came in dressed in costumes - Cat in the Hat hats, poodle skirts, ski masks, half a guerrilla suit.  It was pretty funny.  They skipped around the assembled teenagers while a goofy song played in the background.  All of the campers watched in anticipation as they stopped at one camper or another and then moved on.  When the music cut off, they grabbed the camper they were next to and beat him with pillows.  It was awesome.  There's nothing better than watching teenagers be humiliated.

I left $20 in the donation box.  Some of the other hikers left nothing.  Shame on them.  The Youth Camp was amazingly generous.  $20 seems like a bargain for two meals, a camp spot, shower, and laundry.

Thank you Big Lake Youth Camp, you were amazing


No comments:

Post a Comment